Tuesday 13 December 2016

The Start of Another Journey and A Sowing Needle Sending Me to A&E!





*****GRIMM PHOTO ADDED AT THE END OF THIS BLOG POST*****





So i have not blogged about running since October. It is now just over a week until Christmas and a fair bit has gone on in my running life. So much so, i'm telling you all.

I left my last review disappointing in not gaining a place into the London Marathon. My crazy idea of running Paris was more of a pipe dream to a certain extent. On two occasions i sat at the computer, so close to filling in my debit card details, but each time preventing myself from doing so. The whole entry fee was going to cost me around 120 EUROS. They keep quiet until the latter part of the registration that an entry insurance for 6-8 EUROS should be purchased, so if you couldn't run, upon presenting a valid Dr's note, you could gain your money back. Then, there was runners insurance that was around 12 EUROS, so like, if you died on route or something, your family can't go and sue the company. This was all fair and well, but with adding to that a £25 doctors note that is unavoidable if you want to even contemplate running this event it was leading less to be desired. Basically, you have to prove when picking your race number up at the depot, that your Doctor has deemed you fit to run! Absolutely ridic if you ask me! All of this money and i haven't even taken into consideration travelling, hotel costs, as well as spending money! As Simon Cowell say, "It's a NO from me!".

I was left trying to find a Spring marathon once again. Brighton- you have to go down one or two days before to pick up your race number. If i'm honest, if i drove myself, then that would be all fine and well. But at this stage in my life, i do not. So this didn't appeal to me in the slightest (picky bugger aint i?). Next i contemplated Edinburgh, love, love, love the city- hands down! But again the sheer travel cost and cost of a hotel means that you should really book it straight away and not a few months after the entries are opened. The cost of this event would see me spending the same kind of money as Pairs because all the budget hotels had been fully booked. With my student, part time self. This was out of the question. Lastly... PING! Manchester, yes Manchester, fast and flat says the course description, with an entry fee of around £55 and i can save money by booking the train tickets early. So, there you go i have my Spring marathon! It was a bit earlier than i anticipated (April 2nd) for running my second marathon, but due to the reviews of the course description and a 24ish week training programme, i felt i will fine.




So, my official training was scheduled to start the first week of November. I'm attempting to follow this plan as closely as possible and look, there's speed training in there too. Go me!

I started following the 3rd week on the plan above. First Fartlek training was different and very hard, but i managed to persevere.

I'm not going to lie, a couple of times on a Sunday after work, i've had to merge some runs together due to missing them in the week. But all in all, my training was going absolutely fantastic. Well in my  personal opinion. I felt stronger and faster with every run i did. PB'ing a 5km at 28:10 on November 22nd. My first major achievement was running 8 miles in 1:21:51 (route PB) on bomb fire night. With a 7 mile on the 25th- another route PB of 1:06:32! Man, i felt determined as ever, this speed play was already seeing results. First week in December marked a nice laid back week. 2 miles, 2 miles, cross train, 5 miles. I missed the 5 miles regrettably. But i was going to make it up the following week! Sunday night, i missed my 5 miler because i was feeling fluey, shivering, hot flushes, aches and pains- the lot. I then stupidly still went to my mother spin class on the Monday, coming home and feeling worse off for it. Tuesday, i managed to get into uni for the afternoon. I couldn't get warm, still achy as hell. I was generally just feeling under the weather- exhausted because of looming deadlines too etc...

Now for the dreadful bit! I'd noticed my Fiance has managed to split a pair of work trousers on Tuesday night, i decided to sow it back together... A nightmare in itself i finished- noting that i hadn't turned the trousers inside out, to top it off i had only gone and used white thread... ON BLACK CHEF TROUSERS! Haha. So i just coloured the thread in with black gel pen, hoping that it was too noticeable.

Went to sleep. Woke up with a banging headache, annoyed for not being able to get out of my bed for my 9am lecture, i started to put some washing away, scooted my foot with some force over to put some knickers in the draw. Then

BOOM!

I  feel on the bed, to be met with excruciating pain. Looked to the floor to find that i had trod on the sowing needle that i was using the night before. Not only this, i realised that the needle had snapped inside my foot. ARGH, I COULD FEEL THE METAL IN MY SKIN, WITH NO EVIDENT INSERTION POINT!!! This was bad, real bad.

My mind was everywhere, Jake was asleep, it was his day off. I tried to no avail to push and prod, but nope, it had well and truly been embedded into the ball of my foot. Absolutely fricken fantastic! Hysterically crying, i woke Jake after trying to call close relatives to see if they could pick me up to unavoidably take me to A&E. Nope, no one answered, my step dad. But he was on the other side of Rugby delivering parcels and had no way of coming to my rescue,

Finally, mother rang back in what seemed like eternity. I explained the situation and she was like

"A&E now, ill ring Shannon (8 months pregnant cousin) to see if she can take you."

She freaked me out and said they'll have to cut your foot open Nicole, its going to hurt.

Big cousin to the rescue!

Before i knew it i was hopping along to X-ray. The Dr was disgracefully abrupt and blunt. In short said, it was wedged in. The only way to retrieve the needle was to cut it open and try to get it out. The X-ray couldn't tell them how far in it was. If they couldn't get it with just the numbing injection, I'd have to be stitched up and go back on the Thursday to have a full on, put me to sleep operation. OK, Now i was really panicking. Before i could blink the tools were on the table the needle was out. It was huge, and i've never experienced pain like it in my life... but alas, least i could only feel pressure when he made a inch and a half slice down my foot. I have never been so happy to see a piece of metal in my life. when i herd it clang onto the metal tray full of iodine, it was like i'd just given birth. It was out, God bless!

I had 4 non dissoluble stitches added,with a heap of antibiotics and mostly annoyingly NO RUNNING FOR A MINIMUM OF 2 WEEKS!!! I was nearly crying at the fact. My poor, poor fitness levels.

It's now nearly been a full week since my accident. Suspected stitch removal on Friday or Monday. I still cant put my full weight on my left foot, i feel depressed, fat and helpless and i cannot even clean properly. I obviously had to take the weekend off from work so, to top it all off im broke right before Christmas too! All for the sake of a sowing needle.

Morale of the story is... either put your sowing needled away or bin them and beg your Mum or Nan to do any sowing disasters!

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GRIM PHOTO BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


























Poor me!!




No comments:

Post a Comment